The Barrie Restaurant Review Ontario restaurants

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Like A Pie In The Face

Pie
34 Commerce Park Dr.
Fare: Pizza, Italian, Wine Bar
Price:$12-25

It's always sad when a good idea goes wrong.

A restaurant dedicated to the union of a crust, sauces, cheeses, meats and vegetables is an immediate attraction to this reviewer. As well, a restaurant that manages to pair wine with different kinds of pizzas must have some idea as to what should go into a proper pie.

But upon closer inspection, they don't.

The restaurant gives you the feeling that you're in for a treat: the pies are prepared on the spot to order, and are baked in a massive wood-fired oven. The kind of preparation techniques you would find in Manhattan.

The true pizza enthusiast will realize that the completed pies are somewhat soggy and unevenly baked. The toppings are choice, and the cheese is quality but it seems that the chef manning that big wooden paddle should go back to dough-spinning school.



Another turn-off. Having to wait over 10 minutes for a table when the restaurant is near-empty.

Overall: 4.9/10

Pie on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. I don't think you know what you are talking about. I've been here many times and the pizza is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your opinion on this restaurant. We love to have comments for this reason because the bes thing about food blogs is that it is all about what you get the day you go. I have experienced this restaurant twice now and have had two different opinions. I went the first time and got a great meal and good service with an excellent choice of beer however the last time I went everyone at our table sent our Pizza's back because they were burnt and the next time they came they were soggy and not cooked well. I feel this restaurant has good and bed cooks and they just need to hold onto the good ones and teach the ones who are not up to par.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with the review. I have been twice and while I had no issues with waiting for a table and I too felt anticipation to go to a 'joint' with a wood fired oven. I bake bread and make pizza on my ceramic bbq and thought what better than a wood fired oven.

    I was wrong and the pizza was mostly soggy due to the sauce they squirt all over the pizza. Not what I expected. The second time confirmed to me that this was the standard.

    If you want a pizza that stands on a good crust, especially if a selling point is a wood fired oven, and fresh ingredients, I don't feel this is the place. Others I was with liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that overall the problem with PIE is the staff. On one occasion we went and the waitress we had spent the entire length of our visit hanging out with a boyfriend at the hostess station. Treating us as though we were a distraction to their conversation. But on that occasion the pizza was pretty good.

    Another time we had pizza that was not evenly cooked (areas with cheese were barely melted even) though the ingredients were quite good. It was lost on the poor preparation. That time though the service was great.

    I'd call PIE hit or miss. It has great potential though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But the cheescake dessert! To die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, food blogger. Chicken pie pizza is so delicious, that I would die just to have it served to me in heaven. This food blogger is not very good, because Pie is an amazing restaurant for vegetarians and for others. I do not eat pigs or cows, and i find the selection of pizzas even for someone as picky as me is excellent. I crave Pie pizza all the time. The delicious sauciness and thin wood smoke crust and the explosion of flavours in my mouth is great. Proud that we have something so special in Barrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with You. I have been twice and while I had no issues with waiting for a table and I too felt anticipation to go to a 'joint' with a wood fired oven.http://www.paintershall.ca/

    ReplyDelete