The Barrie Restaurant Review Ontario restaurants

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Georgian College Review - Chartwells Cafeteria

Chartwells Cafeteria - Barrie

Now these days the Georgian College Cafeteria is a touchy subject as it is kind of a love hate relationship. Yes they offer a wide range of food with Tim Horton's, their own version of Pita Pit, Pizza Pizza, Coyote Jacks and their Healthy options but that is usually only true from about 10am to 4pm Monday - Friday.

Now when it comes to Cafeteria's I don't know what people are expecting from them. It is a cafeteria! Most Cafeterias have cold sandwiches and a couple of soups and some burgers of pizza. Chartwells does try to give Georgian Students and anyone who visits a good meal but hey.....if you are going to a school cafeteria then what do you expect. You are not going to get a five star meal. When I have to go to the Cafeteria it is usually for a slice of pizza or a quick snack or going to Tim Horton’s.

Where they do drop the ball is operation hours. Yes, I realize it is a business and that you need to make money but when you offer students a meal plan and expect them to purchase it you better be open 7 days a week Breakfast to Dinner because we buy the meal plan expecting not having to buy any food or go grocery shopping. The moment we have to buy a meal off campus because they are closed it becomes useless.

Now they have smartened up recently offering a convenience card that you can fill like a meal plan but come on really........buy a card that we can only spend at the cafeteria??? I would rather keep the money in my bank and spend it where I feel and it the Cafeteria is the lucky place then be happy I am visiting you.

Also, price of their food is extremely expensive and really eats away at the bank account. I would rather visit somewhere else than have to spend my money there. The last part of this rant is that the Debit Machine charges you $0.25 for a debit transaction. I am sorry but that is a cost of doing business. They should not be able to charge me extra to use the debit machine. If they didn't offer debit I would simply not spend my money their but somehow they get away with charging students $0.25 for every purchase made on debit! It is ridiculous and needs to be changed.

I would give the Georgian College Chartwells Cafeteria a 5/10 as they have a long road ahead to improve service and need to stop raising prices and think more about what the students need and want out of their cafeteria.

For more info on Chartwells visit: http://www.dineoncampus.ca/Georgian/?

3 comments:

  1. The georgian college cafeteria really is a dissapointing business. I have visited a few college/university cafes and they are open weekends for students convenience. Especially if they are advertising their meal plans students spending that money should be able to get breakfast on a sunday or dinner on a saturday. To me its laziness, they dont want to work more hours. My suggestion hire part time workers for those weekend shifts. I also find myself annoyed with their 0.25 cent debit surcharge, their pita table closes at around 2 or when they run out of food, and the fact that they charge so much more for helthier foods! Also i find it quite annoying that they put sugar on their packaged fruit! Fruit has natural sugars its uneccessay and makes it taste reallly gross! I would give them a 3/10 rating! They reallly dissapoint me! Also their timmies, dont even get me started thats not even included in my ratings! Can i say, slowest service I have probably every experienced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I must agree with both your assessments of the Georgian College cafeteria. The line ups are always ridiculously long, partially because of the amount of business they do, but the slow customer service doesn't help. More often then not I see a table full of employees from Tim Hortons taking a "break", well the line ups are at least 25 people deep. I understand everyone is entitled to a break, but taking it at the same time should NEVER be allowed. I know of no other reputable establishment that would ever allow this to happen. They are very fortunate that students don't have a lot of cheap/quick alternatives or I doubt they'd still be in business.

    ReplyDelete